Meet Attorney James O’Connell
Since joining Berman & Simmons in 2007, Jim has emerged as one of the top trial lawyers in Maine. His approach to handling and resolving cases―using a balance of patience, compassion, aggression, and collaboration―delivers exceptional results. Jim has successfully negotiated hundreds of settlements and has won numerous jury trial verdicts throughout the state, including some very public catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases.
A former athlete, Jim is a natural competitor. He has dedicated his career to standing up to individuals and corporations that abuse power at the expense of others. Before joining Berman & Simmons, he litigated and tried complex civil and criminal matters at a major Boston law firm and as an Assistant Attorney General in the Public Corruption Division of the Criminal Bureau.
While some lawyers are combative, Jim uses a different approach. He works with opposing lawyers and insurance companies to help them appreciate the significance of his clients’ injuries and the impact on their lives, paving the way to a fair settlement. If that doesn’t work, Jim and his team are ready and able to push cases to trial. Recently, Jim was named as “Lawyer of the Year” in Best Lawyers.
Jim gives much credit for his success to the paralegals, legal assistants, and other support staff at Berman & Simmons. He is also grateful for the wisdom and collaboration of the other attorneys at the firm.
Memberships & Distinctions
- Chair, Maine State Bar Association, Litigation Section, 2016–2017; Treasurer, Litigation Section,
- Board of Governors, Maine Trial Lawyers Association, 2016–present
- American Association for Justice, 2007–present
- American Civil Liberties Union of Maine, 2011–present
- Annual guest speaker, University of Maine School of Law class: “The Business of Managing a Law Practice”
- Judge for Maine’s high school and University of Maine School of Law annual mock trial and moot appellate
- Volunteer, Maine Volunteer Lawyers Project, handling Protection from Abuse cases in Lewiston District
- Board of Directors, Casco Bay Youth Hockey Association, 2009–2013
- Navigating UM/UIM Claims: A Guide for Both New and Experienced Attorneys, Maine Trial Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, 2021
- Boating Collision Cases in Maine, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Summer 2017
- Enough Already? Evidence Necessary to Prove Causation in a Personal Injury Case, Maine Trial Lawyers Association Fall Seminar, November 2016
- Lien on Me: The Case Ain’t Over Till It’s Over: Managing Litigation/Subrogation Liens and Claims to Conclusion, hosted by the John Waldo Ballou Inn of Court, 2016
- Family BBQ Gone Awry: Investigating, Litigating, and Mediating an Interesting Product Liability Case, Maine State Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2016
- Moderator, Maine State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, 2015
- The Ultimate Litigation Seminar: Fundamentals to Advanced, Maine State Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2015
- The Use of Focus Groups for Trial Strategy and Settlement Value in Civil Litigation, Maine State Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2014
- Decaying Trees, Hazards Overhead, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Fall 2013
- Overcoming Bias Against Injured Motorcyclists, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Fall 2012
- Have no Fear…of Attachments, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Summer 2012