Meet Attorney Travis Brennan
Attorney Travis Brennan is a highly skilled and accomplished trial attorney who represents clients in claims involving medical malpractice, wrongful death, personal injury, and defective products. Travis is a fierce competitor with a tireless work ethic who is committed to standing up for people who have been wronged or injured through no fault of their own. He thrives when tackling complex challenges and facing down powerful opposition, including insurance companies.
Travis recognizes that every client is unique. He listens carefully to clients to understand the events related to their case, the nature of their injuries, and the different ways they have been impacted. This enables Travis to develop a successful legal strategy and serve as a strong and passionate advocate for his clients.
“Clients place tremendous trust in me to help them when a horrible event occurs in their life. I am committed to helping my clients navigate a complex and overwhelming system and to achieving the best results for my clients.”
Clients across Maine have entrusted Travis with some of the most complex and difficult cases involving surgical errors, misdiagnosis, delay in diagnosis, amputations, as well as catastrophic personal injury claims involving motor vehicle collisions resulting in injuries, including death, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and complex fractures.
Travis has achieved large jury verdicts and multi-million-dollar settlements in catastrophic cases throughout Maine. In 2019 alone, Travis won jury trials in five different counties across the State of Maine. In November 2019, he achieved a $1,200,000 jury verdict in a medical malpractice case in Aroostook County arising from a patient’s permanent leg injury caused by a hospital’s negligence in failing to diagnose and treat serious, ongoing internal bleeding. In December 2019, he followed that up by achieving a $848,000 jury verdict in a medical malpractice case in Penobscot County on behalf of a lobsterman who was injured by a surgeon during a botched hernia repair.
When this Maine native is not preparing for his next trial, he serves as a volunteer firefighter in his local town—a passion he developed nearly two decades ago when he became a firefighter and EMT. Travis’ passions include running and enjoying the Maine outdoors with his wife, daughter, and rescue dogs.
Memberships & Distinctions
- Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Procedure, Maine Supreme Judicial Court, 2018–present
- American Association for Justice, 2014–present
- Maine State Bar Association, 2010–present
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association, 2010–present
- Katahdin Council Pro Bono Designation, Maine Supreme Judicial Court, 2012
- Building Trial Skills: DC Program, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 2014
- University of Maine School of Law
- Recipient of the Wernick Prize for Legal Writing
- Recipient of Pro Bono Publico Award
- Editor, Ocean and Coastal Law Journal
- Board of Directors, Pine Tree Legal Assistance, 2012–present
- Board of Directors, Nathan and Henry B. Cleaves Law Library, 2011–2017
- Litigation Practice, Maine State Bar Association Bridging the Gap Conference, 2022
- Law Court’s Decision Regarding Physician-Patient Privilege Has Far-Reaching Implications for Civil and Criminal Cases, Me. Lawyers Rev. 37 (2022)
- Litigation Practice, Maine State Bar Association Bridging the Gap Conference, 2021
- New Strategies to Build Your Case for Trial, Maine State Bar Association Winter Conference, 2021
- Civil Procedures and Evidence, Maine State Bar Association Legal Year in Review, 2020
- Travis M. Brennan, Three Lessons Learned from Recent Jury Trials, Me. Lawyers Rev. 35 (2020)
- Damages, Pine Tree Legal Assistance Training, 2019
- How We Use Experts, Maine Trial Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, 2018
- Case Development: Finding the Core Truth at the Heart of Every Case, Maine State Bar Association, 2017
- Serious Personal Injury Cases: Five Guiding Principles to Remember, Berman & Simmons Blog, July, 2017
- Medical Malpractice Cases in Maine: How It Works, University of Maine School of Law, November 2016
- Negligence on Blueberry Field Leads to $729,000 Verdict, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Winter 2017
- Emerging Issues in Professional Negligence, Maine State Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2016
- Changes in the Data Security Landscape: What You Need to Know to Protect Your Clients and Yourself, Maine State Bar Association, 2014
- HIPAA Omnibus Rule: Changes You Should Know, Maine Primary Care Association, 2013
- Law & Ethics in Social Work, USM School of Social Work, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Redefining the American Coastline: Can Government Withdraw Basic Services from the Coast and Avoid Taking Claims?, 14 Ocean & Coastal Law Journal (2008)
- Jury Awards $848,866 to Stonington Lobsterman for Hospital’s Negligence
- Jury Awards Sanford Man $250,000 for Injuries Sustained in a Fall at a Home Construction Site
- Attorney Travis Brennan Secures $1.2 Million Verdict in Medical Negligence Case
- Attorney Travis Brennan Files Civil Lawsuit for Corinth, ME Man Who Says Doctor Amputated Wrong Toe
- Military Veteran Awarded $150,000 for a Neck Injury Stemming from Car Crash
Travis Brennan is a very caring and compassionate attorney. After my accident, I wasn’t sure what to do and Travis was able to guide me through the process to a successful resolution. –W. Anderson
I could not have asked for a more dedicated group of people to represent me in the fight for justice for my son and there are no words that I could ever write that would fully express this. I felt as though they ALL cared about him as though he were one of their family. Right from the beginning I was well informed and supported through the entire process. They worked long hours and dug deep to make sure they had explored every piece of information they could to help support our case. A very professional, hard working and caring group of people that I would have no hesitation recommending to anyone.
Having dealt with several law firms I can truly say Berman and Simmons surpasses them all in the way they treat their clients. They make you feel respected and valued. Attorney Travis Brennan accepted my case and told me up front that is was a very difficult case. It took a few years, and in that time I felt treated with the utmost respect. Questions are answered promptly. All aspects of the case are explained. I can’t say enough about Attorney Brennan. I feel very fortunate to have been represented by such a caring, competent attorney. I would not have had a better outcome with another lawyer. I highly recommend calling the office of Berman and Simmons first if you need a lawyer! – S. Mills
Travis Brennan was excellent! He is a strong advocate in the courtroom, well prepared, thorough and passionate about getting great outcomes for his clients. I am very pleased with the results. Travis gave me great advice and everyone on his team goes above and beyond, and they are also great listeners and made sure they understood where I was coming from. – R. Pargeter
After suffering a leg injury that was not properly treated at an ER visit I suffered a serious complication that led to three surgeries and many months of follow up care at a wound clinic.It was a completely life altering event occurring during the roughest moments of my husband’s cancer treatment. While seeking legal help I was very lucky to be directed to Travis Brennan. The case took over 3 years to reach trial. Travis spent that time researching all aspects of my case giving it his all. The whole team worked diligently to achieve a most favorable outcome. Travis put his everything into this case. His courtroom presentation was something many attorneys could learn from. Travis remained upbeat with every wrinkle thrown at us and his determination kept my spirits up through the darkest of times. I always felt that I was on the front burner of the things he was working on, All my calls and questions were answered promptly. Travis becomes your friend as well as your advocate giving you only the best representation. – P. Akerson
Berman & Simmons, and especially Travis Brennan have made my first experience hiring a lawyer very fluid. From the initial meeting, and intake for my case, you have been a great listener, and thoughtful in helping me through the particulars. I needed someone who could speak on my behalf, and show careful decisiveness towards my goals. You had come recommended from several in my community, and while I hope to not need your expertise again, there is no doubt I will look to you if needed in the future. – T. McLain