Meet Steven Silin
Attorney Steven Silin is one of the most successful and highly respected trial lawyers in Maine. Known for his trial expertise, Steven has won some of the state’s largest jury verdicts on behalf of his clients and has earned many top honors in his field. For more than three decades, he has been one of the driving forces in building Berman & Simmons into the leading firm in Maine for personal injury and medical malpractice law.
Since joining Berman & Simmons in 1983, Steven has been involved in all aspects of the firm’s statewide practice, handling a wide range of matters including catastrophic personal injury, medical malpractice, defective products, and wrongful death cases. Steven’s extraordinary record of success includes more than 100 jury verdicts, and hundreds of life-changing settlements on behalf of clients throughout Maine.
Steven takes pride in fighting on behalf of individuals and families who have been harmed through no fault of their own, and who find themselves up against large corporations, insurance companies or other powerful adversaries. Steven’s leadership, tenacity, commitment to civil justice, and ability to find creative and effective solutions that benefit his clients have been hallmarks of his career.
“People come to us, often at difficult times in their lives, in need of an advocate. This is a tremendous responsibility, and one that we never take lightly,” Steven says. “It is our job to help people through that crisis, to give them the best service, be supportive, and ultimately make sure they are fully and fairly compensated for what has happened to them.”
Steven is the author of numerous legal articles and is a frequent speaker on tort law and trial advocacy at legal education seminars.
Memberships & Distinctions
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, 2002–present
- Fellow, Maine Bar Foundation, 1992–present
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates, 1993–present
- Board of Governors, Maine Trial Lawyers Association, 1992–2013; President, 2001–2002
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court’s Advisory Committee on the Rules of Civil Procedure, 1999–2008; Chairperson,
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court’s Advisory Committee on the Rules of Evidence, 1988–1997
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court’s Advisory Committee on Gender Justice and the Courts, 1993–1996
- American Association for Justice, 1993–present
- Maine State Bar Association
- Steven D. Silin, Understanding Strict Products Liability: Back to The Future, 13 Me. Bar J. 8 (1998)
- Steven D. Silin, Tort Law: Maximizing Recovery Before Suit, Me. Lawyers Rev. 29 (1998)
- Steven D. Silin, Discovery: Strategy and Other Considerations, Me. Lawyers Rev. 20 (1997)
- Steven D. Silin, Representing Eggshell Plaintiffs and Others with Preexisting Conditions or Injuries
Post Lovely, 10 Me. Bar J. 380 (1995)
- Steven D. Silin, Mild Head Trauma Cases: Proving The Neuropsychological Injury, 4 Me. Bar J. 282
- “BYOB” Parties: Expanding Liquor Liability Beyond Maine Statutory Law, IN BRIEF (Berman &
Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Summer 2013
- Handling the Catastrophic Injury Case, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Spring 2012
- Advancing the Law: Bystander Recovery, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Spring 2011
- Shifting the Burden: Fairness for Injured Persons, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Fall 2009
- Maximizing Tort Recoveries: Getting Clients the Best Possible Outcome, IN BRIEF (Berman & Simmons, Lewiston, Me.), Fall 2008