Helping victims of carbon monoxide poisoning in Maine
Often called the “silent” or “invisible” killer, carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is odorless, tasteless, and colorless, and can quickly cause brain damage and death in high concentrations.
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is produced when various fuels, such as gasoline, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal, don’t fully combust. Faulty installation, poor design, or improper maintenance of furnaces, heaters, fireplaces, and other common fuel-burning appliances can cause carbon monoxide to build up inside homes, offices, vehicles, and other enclosed spaces.
An estimated 500 people are killed, and several thousand become ill, each year in the U.S. because of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Property owners and companies that design, install, and maintain fuel-burning stoves, appliances, and other equipment are responsible for keeping the public safe from carbon monoxide. If they fail in that duty and people are harmed, our carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers are prepared to hold them accountable, and to ensure full compensation for the victims and their families.
Call 207-784-3576 for a free consultation.
Carbon monoxide poisoning cases require the best and most experienced lawyers
Berman & Simmons is widely recognized as the best personal injury lawyers in Maine and among the best in the U.S. We have obtained several of the largest jury verdicts in Maine history, and many of the largest settlements for our clients. We have recovered $1 billion for our injured clients.
Our defective products attorneys are extremely knowledgeable about medical issues and skilled at proving fault, documenting the extent of your losses, and ensuring you receive full compensation.
Call 207-784-3576 for a free consultation. You pay nothing unless we win by settlement or jury verdict.
Helping in all aspects of your recovery: Financial, physical, and emotional
We understand what’s at stake for our clients. There is only one opportunity to build your case and recover a favorable settlement or jury verdict. No other firm in Maine can commit more experience, expertise, and resources for your case than Berman & Simmons. We will do everything in our power to hold the responsible parties accountable and to ensure that you receive full and fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
While we work to maximize your financial recovery, we also can serve as a partner for your physical and emotional recovery. Our lawyers and staff members will take the time to listen to you, understand your concerns, and come up with helpful solutions to make your life easier.
From day one, we will assist you in obtaining any necessary referrals to specialists for medical and mental health care. We can arrange payment or deferral of your debts until your case is resolved. We will also help you navigate the complex maze of medical insurance and disability programs.
LET US HELP YOU WIN
Call 207-784-3576 for a free consultation and to learn more about your legal rights.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Tips and Tools: What do I do if I may have been exposed to carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide poisoning is often overlooked or misdiagnosed when a sick individual seeks medical attention, as early symptoms such as nausea, headache, dizziness, and fatigue are common for many ailments including colds or the flu. Higher levels of CO poisoning result in more severe symptoms including confusion, vomiting, loss of muscle coordination, and loss of consciousness. If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms of CO poisoning:
Get outside to fresh air immediately.
After leaving the home, or other enclosed area, call 911 to report your symptoms.
Tell your doctor or ER physician that you believe you have been exposed to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide.
If the doctor confirms CO poisoning, consult with your local fire department to determine the source. If the source is an appliance, make sure it is shut off and repaired by a qualified technician before resuming use.
Back to Top
Attorney Ben Gideon discusses a carbon monoxide poisoning case that resulted in severe brain damage and the untimely death of his client’s husband.