Berman & Simmons in the News, 4th Quarter 2022
Whether online, in print, or on TV, we’re proud our important work is routinely featured in Maine’s top news forums. This recap of media coverage during the 4th quarter of 2022 spotlights the many ways in which we’re helping Mainers find justice and recover compensation after experiencing serious personal injury.
Notable Client Work
During the quarter the firm represented nine new survivors of childhood sexual abuse, filing suit on their behalf against Maine’s Roman Catholic Diocese. The mounting complaints that the church knew about the abuse and allowed it to continue earned scores of local and national media stories.
- Portland diocese failed to prevent priest from sexually assaulting woman in the 1960s, lawsuit says (bangordailynews.com)
- New lawsuits filed against Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland | newscentermaine.com
- More sex abuse lawsuits filed against Catholic Diocese of Portland
Also during this period, the firm was recognized for achieving two significant jury awards:
Attorney Chuck Hehmeyer won a $25 million award for his client that was traumatically injured in a motorcycle accident, the highest award in an out-of-state jury trial by a Maine attorney:
Pennsylvania jury awards $25 Million to motorcyclist injured in crash with tractor trailer
That win led Maine Lawyers Review to profile of Chuck, and how the collegial nature of Maine’s legal professionals led him to move to the state and join Berman & Simmons.
Maine Bar: Respect and Collegiality
Maine Lawyers Review also dug deep into Attorney Travis Brennan’s recent medical malpractice win, with a $5 million award for his client.
Firm News and Expertise
Attorney Dan Kagan is routinely called upon to share his legal knowledge on topics making news. During the fourth quarter he offered commentary on a Maine Public Radio program about Traumatic Brain Injury, and gave insights to Portland’s ABC-TV affiliate on how retailers can best protect customers from runaway car crashes
- Dan Kagan guest on Traumatic Brain Injury
- Storefront Safety: Questions raised after truck crashes into Maine Dollar Tree
Berman and Simmons was again recognized by benchmark litigation as being among the top firms in Maine, which was acknowledged by local media.
- MaineBiz: Noteworthy People & Performances
- Portland Press Herald: Recognitions